Your Sausalito Stay!
While making Sausalito your home base for your stay, you will find amazing sights in the surrounding area. From hiking the Marin Headlands, to relaxing on the beach in Tennessee Valley or venturing into a redwood forest, Muir Woods. Sausalito is also just a short drive from Sonoma and Napa Valley.
- Walk south along Bridgeway from the center of town for scenic photographs fresh air and exercise. Take in all the sights and sounds – the seals frolicking in the bay (including the famous sealion statue) and the SF skyline as well as the Mediterranean hillside above the waterfront. Go as far Swede’s Beach via the wooden boardwalk and the legendary Sally Stanford’s former establishment on the southern most corner.
- Walk back to town and browse through the art galleries and boutiques, including the hidden alley on Princess Street, Princess Court
- Lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants with spectacular views such as Angelinos, Barrel House Tavern, The Trident, Salito’s Crab House & Prime Rib, Scoma’s, Seafood Peddler and the Spinnaker Restaurant
- Walk off your lunch by strolling along the marinas and boardwalks and admire the harbor full of vessels.
- Head back to San Francisco via the ferry or water taxi, or take shuttle to Muir Woods. Sausalito is the perfect gateway to west Marin County and the California coastline as well as the wonders of the wine country
HALF A DAY – 4 HOURS
Add the following to the 2-hour itinerary:
- From the center of town – across from Vina del Mar Park where the elephants stand guard over the beautiful fountain – walk
up the Excelsior stairs for a panoramic view of the harbor and bay
- Walk north to Caledonia Street where the locals shop and visit the galleries and boutiques and jewelry designers that cannot be found any place else
- Catch an espresso or cappuccino at one of the sidewalk cafes in the area – such as Sausalito Equator, Firehouse Coffees & Teas or Taste of Rome and watch the world go by while you catch your breath
- Wander back towards the center of town and sample some California fine wine at one of our wine tasting establishments – Bacchus & Venus, Madrigal Family Winery and Real Napa. Toast your half day by the bay!
In addition to the itineraries previously noted:
- Visit historic Fort Baker at the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge – and take the kids to the Discovery Museum and Marine Mammal Center for a few hours of educational entertainment and breathtaking views – dine and drink on the deck at Cavallo Point, outside Farley’s Bar & Restaurant savoring the same stunning views
- Tour the Bay Model Visitor Center – a 1.5 acre 3-D, working hydraulic model of the San Francisco Bay & Sacramento Delta waterways
- Catch a Golden Gate Transit bus or taxi going north to the floating home community at the far end of town – wander the docks admiring this legendary collection of houseboats
- Tour Heath Ceramics – a Sausalito landmark for over 50 years and one of the few remaining mid-century American potteries still in existence; take home some of their famous tableware
- Kayak the Bay with SeaTrek and see Sausalito from the Bay or take a Seaplane ride with Seaplane Adventures above and around some of the most spectacular scenery in the world
- Tour back to the center of town and enjoy an early dinner at one of Sausalito’s waterfront restaurants and catch the last ferry boat back to the City, or continue your travels by car
You’ll have time to savor even more local activities!
- Settle into one of Sausalito’s signature overnight accommodations – choose from The Gables Inn, a Victorian bed & breakfast, Casa Madrona Hotel & Spa, an historic landmark, Hotel Sausalito on Vina del Mar Park, The Inn Above Tide built over the Bay or Cavallo Point Resort at Fort Baker
- Catch breakfast and an espresso at a downtown outdoor café where locals and visitors mingle to start the day – Bridgeway Cafe, Café Tutti, Poggio or Sausalito Bakery & Café
- Visit an array of interesting galleries with everything from investment fine art, vintage to whimsical creations at Bubble Street Gallery, Galerie Elektra, Gallery Sausalito, Hanson Gallery and Studio 333 Downtown
- Book a spa treatment to pamper and/or restore your energy at one of the full service spas in town
- Take an historic wooden boat tour, a gourmet wine and food tour, rent a kayak or book a boat tour with SF Bay Adventures or enjoy a seaplane ride
- Dine in the center of town one night and then at one of Sausalito’s famous eateries that are off the beaten path – Copita, F3, Seafood Peddler, Sushi Ran or for more casual dining atmosphere Salsalito and Saylor’s Restaurant & Bar
- Sausalito puts visitors in striking distance of Muir Woods with it’s giant redwoods, the scenic West Marin coast (Stinson Beach is only 30 minutes away) and the world renown Napa and Sonoma wine country (1 hour away). With Sausalito as your base camp you can day-trip to all these popular destinations