Headlands Center for the Arts
Headlands is a one-of-a-kind gathering place for a wide range of celebrations and events. We offer space for classes, meetings, conferences, photo shoots, weddings, and other events to both individuals and organizations. Just fifteen minutes away from San Francisco, and convenient to North, East, and South Bay locations, Headlands’ spaces are ideal for groups looking to meet, brainstorm, discuss, celebrate, and think creatively in a serene setting. Housed within artist-renovated 1907 era army barracks, our campus is situated within the 2,100 windswept acres of hills, cliffs, coves, and beaches that make up the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Headlands Center for the Arts is a unique and memorable venue for weddings and special events. The beautiful natural setting, close attention to detail, and excellently prepared food make Headlands a warm and convivial gathering place for celebrations of all kinds. Set against a backdrop of coastal California, Headlands’ Main Building 944, a former army barrack, is a voluminous, four-story structure with big windows, expressively treated walls, tin ceilings, oak balustrades, maple floors, and yard after yard of history, character, and possibility.
“Each and every person had glowing things to say about the energy and character of the place. We’re certain it left a mark on all who attended…” A & J
“The feeling that we were supporting the arts with our choice of wedding venue brought a lot of extra happiness to the day.” K & M
Headlands’ multi-room Saturday rental in Building 944 can accommodate all components of your large gathering including wedding ceremonies, cocktail receptions, holiday parties, dinner, and dancing. Headlands’ newest outdoor gathering space, The Commons, is available for ceremonies or cocktail hours. Also outside of our doors is a large open field (the Fort Barry Parade Ground), which is available for outdoor ceremonies and events by obtaining a day-use permit from the National Park Service.
Wedding rentals include a private rehearsal on Friday afternoon, overnight storage of décor supplies, use of on-site artist-designed seating and dining tables.
For more information, download our event PDF or fill out the rental request form linked to below for a customized quote.
- Headlands is available on Saturdays for weddings and large events. Occasionally other days of the week are possible for large-scale celebrations – please contact Headlands for more information.
- Large event rentals include first two floors of Headlands’ Main Building 944.
- Saturday venue rental is available as a “building buyout” only for a flat rate ranging between $5,500 and $7,000 – depending on the time of year. A 50% deposit and a signed contract are required to secure a date, $1,000 of which is non-refundable.
- The flat rate does not include the cost of catering services, which are provided through Katie Powers Catering. Please note that headcount and catering minimums may apply.
- The maximum capacity for a sit down dinner in the Mess Hall dining room is 140 guests. Larger events are possible with a different format. Contact Headlands’ Special Events Manager to discuss options.
- Liability Insurance is required ($1,000,000 coverage policy).
- Renters will have access to Building 944 from 12–11:30PM on the day of the event. Additionally, a window of time for a rehearsal, décor drop-off, and staging is available the day before the event.
- Use of Headlands’ new outdoor gathering space, The Commons, for a ceremony or cocktail hour is available for an additional fee.
- Music and alcohol service must end by 10PM. All guests, vendors, décor, and rental equipment must be completely out of the building by 11:30PM.
- Catering and bar service is provided through Headlands’ exclusive catering company, Katie Powers Catering.
- Katie Powers Catering provides bar service, but renters must provide their own alcohol (there are no corkage fees).
- A representative from Headlands will be present to monitor each event.
Contact Headlands’ Special Events Manager for a more information about weddings and celebrations at Headlands.
Unplug and recharge in Headlands’ artist-renovated meeting and dining spaces.
Headlands Center for the Arts is an exceptional location to brainstorm, get inspired, and enjoy some fresh air away from the buzz of your workplace. The campus’ natural setting and the character of our historic structures are also well-situated for a variety of film and photo shoots.
Headlands’ multi-room facility and proximity to a wide range of trails for outdoor excursions makes for an ideal setting for meetings, retreats, and everything in between. Our spaces provide enough room to spread out for large, all-team meetings, and can also accommodate small break-out sessions and intimate gatherings. The Eastwing, Rodeo Room, and Officer’s Club can comfortably accommodate between 10 and 140 guests.
We offer groups:
- Opportunities to learn more about Headlands unique artist-commissioned spaces and history.
- Opportunities to connect with artists from Headlands’ world-renowned programs through studio or exhibition visits are available.
- The option to include a delicious housemade breakfast or lunch from Katie Powers Catering is available. Groups with food and beverage needs may also bring in, or have delivered, food from outside vendors or caterers.
- Close proximity to a wide variety of hiking trails in the Marin Headlands.
For information on pricing and available spaces, please fill out our rental request form to receive a customized quote.
Discounts are available for non-profit groups.
For more information on planning your retreat, and ways to include an artist component in your day, contact Headlands’ Special Events Manager.
- Your rental will include a 10 minute welcome and introduction to Headlands from a staff member.
- Access to Wi-Fi is available upon request.
- Cell phones do not work in the Park or in Headlands’ buildings. House phones are available for limited use.
- There is no public transportation available into the Headlands on weekdays.
- A/V equipment (projector, screen, sound) may be provided for an additional use fee.
- Bathroom facilities are unisex.
- Due to the historic nature of our building, an elevator is not available.
Renovated in 1987 by conceptual sculptors David Ireland and Mark Thompson, the Rodeo Room often functions as Headlands’ conference room. The walls are shellacked with rich colors of ochre and green, reflecting the hues in the hills visible just beyond the windows.
Max occupancy 22
Square footage: 612
36′ L x 17′ W x 12′ H
The Eastwing is the main public event space in Building 944. Like the Rodeo Room, the space was remade by David Ireland, who led its renovation in 1987 with an eye towards creating an aesthetically pleasing and functional space.
Occupancy varies by event
Square footage: 1,850
50′ L x 37′ W x 12′ H
The Mess Hall, Headlands’ dining space, is much more than a utilitarian renovation. Artist Ann Hamilton created a comfortable and welcoming environment that encourages interaction among all who come to Headlands. From the mismatched chairs, to the hearth-flanked open space for preparing and eating food, the Mess Hall embodies the sense of community that is so integral to Headlands’ mission.
The Westwing, also known as the Officer’s Club, is a large space that is home to an eclectic mix of items, including an array of tables, chairs, and couches. This room is a popular choice for groups looking to spread out and move around, or those who desire a less traditional meeting space.
Occupancy varies by event
Square footage: 1,850
50′ L x 37′ W x 12′ H
Use of Headlands’ new outdoor gathering space, The Commons, is included in weekday rentals. Gather outside to relax and enjoy the area’s renowned natural beauty.
Photo & Film Shoots
Contact [email protected] for more information about booking Headlands’ spaces for photo or film shoots.